Experienced California Dog Bite Attorneys
What To Do After Being Bitten
Dog bites are much more prevalent than many people would expect. 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs each year, with 885,000 requiring medical attention, an epidemic, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Knowing how to respond in the event of a dog bite can be good information. If you or a loved one is injured from a dog bite, following the guidelines below can help you obtain the most financial compensation and medical care for your sustained injuries.
Seek Medical Care Immediately
If the wounds suffered in a dog bite require medical attention, do not hesitate in seeking treatment immediately.
Identify and Capture the Dog
Contact your local animal control department and police department as soon as you can. It is important that the offending dog be located, captured, quarantined, and assessed for rabies. Insist that the police take a report of the incident.
If the dog is not immediately captured, write down everything you know about the dog, its owner, and the attack.
- Obtain the owner's personal information.
- Phone Number
- Home Address
- Insurance Information (Homeowners or Rental)
- Describe the dog in detail.
- Any distinctive features
- If the dog's handler is not the dog owner, obtain handler's personal information as well.
- Obtain any and all witnesses personal information and statements.
- Name(s), Addresses, and Phone Numbers
- What they know about the attack
- If unknown, a description of the dog and handler/owner
Protect Your Rights
When you or a loved one is the victim of a dog bite, you are entitled to certain rights under California law, including payment for medical bills and pain and suffering. Obtaining evidence on your behalf is a great way to protect your rights - and strengthen your dog bite case.
- Take pictures
- The dog itself, if possible
- The victim's injuries
- The victim's clothes at the time of the dog attack
- The scene of the dog bite
- Preserve clothing
- Avoid washing or discarding the clothes worn during the attack
- If possible, preserve the clothes in their after-attack state
- Write down any and all doctor visits, prescriptions, and surgeries
- Write down your story, in detail
- Save all correspondence with involved parties
- Dog Owner
- Insurance Company Representatives
- Doctors and Hospitals
Contact California Dog Bite Lawyer Larry H. Parker
The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker has a team of experienced dog bite attorneys who are ready to help you with your case. We can help guide you through the dog bite legal process and deal with the insurance companies on your behalf. We will do everything we can to help you protect your legal rights. If you or a loved one has been injured by a dog bite, use our case submission form or call The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker today at (800) 333-0000 for a free consultation. We'll fight for you!
- Dog Bite Attorney Larry H. Parker
- Dog Bite Prevention
- Dog Bite Litigation
- Your Dog Bite Case
- Contact Larry H. Parker